Academic, Financial, Personal Assistance


Missing Classes for Personal Emergencies:
Students may need to miss class due to personal emergencies such as being hospitalized or being in a car accident. The Office of the Vice President and Dean of Students can assist students with documented emergencies by contacting professors on behalf of the student. For more information, please call the Office of the Vice President and Dean of Students or complete the Request Assistance Form.

Failing Classes:
Students may experience academic difficulties due to inadequate time management, poor study skills, learning disabilities, social distractions, substance abuse, or psychological problems. If you are having academic problems, contact the Office of the Vice President and Dean of Students to to discuss options to improve your academic performance.

Unable to Complete an Academic Term:
Sometimes the most unexpected, challenging life events can occur at the end of the semester, just in time for completing final projects and taking exams. If this happens to you it may be best to consider requesting an incomplete grade option in a course. Your professor has sole discretion in this decision. He/She may request that the Vice President and Dean of the Students verify the need for the incomplete. The Vice President and Dean of Students can also assist in making the request to the faculty if the student is unable to do so. In order to receive an incomplete, you must be passing the class. Remaining course work must be completed by the end of the term of the next semester you are enrolled. For more information, contact the Office of the Vice President and Dean of Students.

Withdrawing From School:
Some students find that due to the length of their recovery or impact of their personal emergency they are unable to make-up course work missed during the semester. In these cases, student may decide to withdraw from the Institute. The Office of the Vice President and Dean of Students can assist students in navigating the withdrawal process.

Report a Grievance:
The Office of the Provost is the main contact to report violations of the "Dead Week" policy or other grievances. See the Office of the Provost web site for more information.


The Office of the Vice President for Student Life and Dean of Students offers emergency loans through the Dean Griffin Hip Pocket Fund. These loans are interest free and can be used for academic or personal matters. For more information, complete the Request Assistance Form.

The Financial Aid Office offers Emergency 30-Day Loans to students who need short-term assistance in paying tuition and fees, or cash loans up to $1,500 (not both). These loans are interest free, but do have a service fee assessed at the time of the delivery of the loan funds. The loan requires a cosigner. Students cannot borrow in successive terms of enrollment. For more information visit the Financial Aid web site.


Services are available on campus to assist students with personal, medical, and emotional concerns. For more information about these services contact the Georgia Tech Counseling CenterStudent Health CenterWomen's Resource Center or the Office of the Vice President and Dean of Students.

For students who are in need of meals, Klemis Kitchen works in partnership with the Campus Kitchen at Georgia Tech, an organization that takes unused food from Tech’s dining operations and repurposes it into meals for the Atlanta community. Many of those repurposed meals will be used to stock Klemis Kitchen. All food handling and preparation will adhere to federal and Georgia Tech standards. The hours of the Kitchen are 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm on weekdays and 8:00 am - 10:00 pm on weekends. Students interested in gaining access to the Kitchen should make an appointment with the Office of the Vice President and Dean of Students. For more information visit the Klemis Kitchen web site.